Wednesday, March 25, 2009

furniture face lift

Okay, so I've had the "painting" wild hair lately. I've been painting everything in sight. Once you jump on the painting merry-go-round, it's hard to get off. Not that I can't, it's just that I'm having so much fun watching the transformation without having to buy new furniture!

Hutch re-do. The hutch was handed down to me from my Mom. She had it for what seems like forever. I have memories of the hutch holding all of her pretties...and decorated to the hilt at holidays. I was so excited the day she called asking me if I wanted it. Want it? Of course! The problem? Mom lives 75 miles away and we do not own a truck. What's a girl to do now? DH saved the day - he and his trusty friend drove up and rescued the "green beast" (what he called it because it weighs a ton). Mr. hutch found his place in our dining room. No longer green, he sits proudly in all his black glory (used primer first. Then 2 coats of Behr Satin Black).


Entertainment Center re-do. This piece was originally in DH's house growing up. It's a mighty piece and VERY heavy, good quality dark brown wood. It has 4 sections of shelving. His parents probably paid a pretty penny for it. Well, DH's Mom moved into a condo and was downsizing. Finding out that she was getting rid of it, I quickly raised my hand and asked if I could have it. Thankful it could stay in the family Mom was delighted for us to adopt it. Our living room wall is not long enough for all 4 pieces, so we use 3 and the other one has been stored for some kind of future use. I decided to experiment with Behr Matte Black paint and went back over it and distressed it with a fine grit sand paper. Love the way it turned out.


Dining room Set re-do. Again...another piece handed down by family. This time I decided to try spray paint. Pleasantly surprised that it was so easy! Used Painter's Touch Black Satin. Primed first of course. Waited about an hour in between primer coats (very important step). The next project will be to recover the cushions. Would love to do them in an animal print!


Pic of the Day - meet "PJ" - our Maltese-Poodle puppy friend! He comes to stay with us when his family goes out of town. He's adorable. Always a gentleman and has good manners.


No comments:

Post a Comment